Current medical advice and warnings
Are you currently suffering from hay fever or asthma? Do you want to donate blood plasma? Are you taking dietary supplements? Are you wondering if using CBD oil could lead to a positive doping test? Maybe you are planning a trip to China or Mexico?
Following we give you important hints and answers to these questions.
In spring, many athletes are affected by allergies and hay fever. There are a number of medications available for treatment:
So-called antihistamines such as azelastine, cetirizine, ketotifen or loratadine are permitted at all times.
So-called glucocorticoids (cortisone) are permitted if used by inhalation or applied locally to the skin, eye or nose.
There are some asthma sprays that are allowed in certain amounts and can be inhaled without a Therapeutic Use Exemption.
Asthma sprays containing cortisone (e.g. beclometasone, budesonide or fluticasone) or cromoglicic acid are allowed and can be used directly.
Asthma sprays containing salbutamol, salmeterol, formoterol and vilanterol are allowed and can be used. However, a certain permitted dosage must not be exceeded:
- Salbutamol up to 600 µg over 8 hours and a maximum of 1600 µg over 24 hours.
- Salmeterol up to 200 µg over 24 hours
- Formoterol up to 54 µg over 24 hours
- Vilanterol up to 25 μg over 24 hours
Thus, for example, an asthma inhaler containing salbutamol at the usual dose of 100 µg/puff may be inhaled 6 times in 8 hours. After 8 hours, another 6 puffs may be inhaled, and after another 8 hours, another 4 puffs (equivalent to 1600µg of salbutamol over 24 hours).
NoTherapeutic Use Exemption is required for the use of salbutamol, salmeterol, formoterol or vilanterol if the permitted dosage is observed.
The use of these four active substances in any other form (e.g. as tablets or by injection) is prohibited.
The use of other asthma sprays containing e.g. fenoterol, reproterol, indacaterol, olodaterol or terbutaline is also prohibited.
Asthma medication in sport
The most important things at a glance:
The following medications are permitted and do not have to be reported to NADA Germany:
- Asthma sprays with salbutamol, salmeterol, formoterol, vilanterol up to the permitted dosage.
- Asthma sprays with cortisone
- Creams, eye drops, nasal sprays containing cortisone
The following medicines are prohibited. Please contact NADA Germany for further information:
- Asthma sprays with fenoterol, reproterol, indacaterol, olodaterol, terbutaline
- Asthma sprays with salbutamol, salmeterol, formoterol, vilanterol above the permitted dosage
- Tablets/syrup or injections with salbutamol, salmeterol, formoterol, vilanterol
- Cortisone, when administered by any injectable, oral or rectal route, in competition